Tuesday, September 15, 2009

american icon final


Jasmine Roesner
Unbreakable

I was in my room with my fat cat buttercup with the door closed. From the living room I could hear my moms new CD blasting the words “I keep on fallin’ in…and out of love with you” I opened my door to hear the song better, I walked into the living room and sat on the couch and listened closely to her words with such power and love. Her voice sounded as simple as someone speaking, not over powered by the piano just loud enough. It sounded amazing as she sang her love frustrations only to me, as a singer I wanted to be just like Alicia Keys memorable and giving with helping the world become a peaceful place with my powerful voice.

I was raised by a hard working single mother like Alicia keys, her mother was an actress and paralegal, my mother was young, divorced , and raising two kids and had just earned her bachelors degree in science. I remember living in homeless shelters and in our family car at one point, but as a child I was naïve to all the poverty and financial instability around me because my hard working mother loved me and showed it and that is all that mattered back then. When I think about it now I am worried that will be my future, but I will only remember my past as a lesson and not a reality for the future, when I reflect on my past I am thankful because it only taught me to do better for my family and to stay strong and positive no matter what I am going through.

Alicia Keys and I both grew up with an absent father in life, my mother was raped at the age of eighteen and had me when she was nineteen, Alicia Keys parents only spilt up but she still was on good terms with her father. I grew up without the realization that something was missing in my life until the age of eleven. One day I noticed that race was a huge thing, I grew very jealous of my younger half sister for being half white and half black and grew up with such hate about the fact that I never got to see my father’s face.
I feel when I become a parent I would like to have a known independence and leave my kids with a image of a strong woman, but I would like to have a husband to help me throughout our children’s lives and let them know that we believe fully in their dreams and goals and they are more important than anything in the world.

But I feel it does not matter how many parents you are raised by or which one, it matters if their presence is felt in a positive way and from a young age they make it aware that they will always be there. “She ain't no different from me and he ain't no different from you so we got to live our dreams like the people on TV, this love is unbreakable.”

Citations:
Keys, Alicia. "keep a child alive". keep a child alive. September 3rd http://keepachildalive.org/

Keys, Alicia. "The official Alicia Keys Site". Alicia Keys fan club. September 3rd http://www.aliciakeys.com/

1 comment:

  1. Jasmine...
    As a writer, you have grown immensely. The way you use descriptive phrases like "From the living room I could hear my moms new CD blasting." It paints a clear picture of how loudly the music was playing.

    As a young adult, you are able to share your triumphs and tribulations in something SO public like an online blog, or for all parents and visitors to see as they walk through HTHMA. As you continue to reflect on your past and embrace it as a learning experience, I have no doubt you will be just as powerful as Alicia Keys!

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete